When I was a kid, I loved my crayons more than the average child. I memorized their names, arranged them by spectrum order, and inhaled their waxy pheromones.
I loved when my parents bought paint because it meant I could browse hundreds of paint swatches. I’d compare each color and analyze the differences between each shade presented on the cards.
I loved rainbows before I knew they were a symbol of gay pride… and even once I knew, I still rocked homemade rainbow-beaded necklaces (I also didn’t care about the symbolism.)
I guess these were all signs I had a fixation, an addiction. There’s plenty more indications that my addiction to color is going strong today. Finally, I’m ready to admit it.
These are the signs you may also be a colorholic:
1. Your wardrobe is arranged by color. Years ago I learned this concept and tested it out for myself. Just one try was all it took. I dress according to mood and color. Some days I feel like earth tones, while others I feel bright & happy. This closet arrangement has saved me oodles of time.
2. You’ve been promiscuous with color. I haven’t met a color I didn’t like and because of this, I’ve experimented a lot in my decor and clothing. While I love all colors, this experimentation has led me to see what colors work best on my complexion and in certain areas of my home.
3. When you need a new fix, you go to the fabric store. Naturally, I love how the calico bolts are arranged by color. Sometimes I’ll be there to actually buy fabric; sometimes I’m there just for the pleasure.
4. You have color crushes. These temporary obsessions appear in a rash of new clothing, accessories, home decor, or fabric in said color. Currently, I’m all about mint green.
5. You even love the “non-colors:” white, gray, black. You can easily tell the differences between their various hues, which pleases your ego greatly.
6. You believe color has deep impact on your quality of life. As a teen, one of the careers I considered was psychology (in addition to being an artist). That’s probably why I find color psychology fascinating and believe it should be a religion. I’d tithe all my paint cards to the cause.
7. You redecorate your home regularly, centering the makeover on a new palette. I’ve tried out almost every color, although I always go back to the cool tones. Aqua and turquoise will have my heart forever.
Are you also a fiend for color? How strong is your addiction: do you moderate it or go on color binges? What’s your color of choice?